This is the tax ID number in the USA.  All shippers (including for personal effects) will need to have an EIN to export cargo.  The exception to this rule is that if you declare your cargo for less than $2,500, and if you do not have a vehicle or hazardous cargo.


You can obtain an EIN from the IRS here, or by calling: 800-829-4933.